A delicious autumn-winter season treat, exactly how my mum makes it!
400g spelt flower
4 egg yolks (keep the whites for later)
1 tbl spoon honey
1 spoon baking powder
2 spoons breadcrumbs
1 kg apples
300g brown sugar
1 pack of vanilla sugar
1 spoon cinnamon
4 egg whites
200g icing sugar
A handful of chopped hazelnuts
- Peel and grate the apples. Fry them with sugar, adding the vanilla sugar and cinnamon at the end. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (with the fan).
- Mix all the base ingredients and knead the dough until smooth. Spread the dough in the backing tray evenly and press it down. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Take the tray out of the oven, reduce the temperature to 150 °C. Sprinkle the dough with the breadcrumbs. Spread the apples evenly and bake for another 10 minutes.
- In the meantime beat the whites with sugar, add the walnuts.
- Spread the meringue evenly and bake for 25 more minutes.
Then, sit down, relax and enjoy the cake!