There are two ideas for a quick snack: a healthy 😉 and a healthier one. Save your precious time and use these make-ahead snack recipes, when you have a busy week or you just want to share with others in your fika time, as Swedes advise!
Swedish cinnamon buns
Inspired by Linnea Dunne
Makes 16 buns
- 300ml almond milk
- 50g butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 460g spelt flour (and extra for dusting)
- 50g ground demerara sugar
- 7g dried yeast
- ½ spoon ground Himalayan salt
- 1 egg
- Raw coconut oil for oiling
- 70g butter
- 70g honey
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon blue poppy seed
- a pinch of ground Himalayan salt
- Bring milk with added cardamom to just below boiling point, set aside and add butter to melt. Cool it down until warm.
- Mix flour, sugar, yeast and salt together. Add lightly beaten egg. Stir in the warm milk mixture. Mix until well combined. Add more flour if needed, so the dough doesn’t stick to the side of the bowl.
- Knead the dough for about 4-5 minutes on a lightly oiled surface.
- Put the dough into a bowl, cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place to rise for about 40 – 60 minutes.
- For the filling, mix all ingredients. Heat the mixture very gently for 5 minutes if honey is set. Cool it down.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle shape (about 3-5mm thick).
- Spread the cinnamon filling evenly over the dough and roll the dough up gently and quite tightly, starting from a long edge.
- Cut into 16 slices, then place them on a baking sheet in rows.
- Cover the buns and set them aside in a warm place for another 30 minutes, meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Bake the buns for 20-25 minutes until golden brown, cool for a while and serve warm.
- Freeze the excess to keep the freshness.
Filling alternatives: apple or plum jam.
Apple pie autumn bar
Makes 10 bars
- 1 ½ cup of oats
- 1 cup of almond flakes, hazelnuts, raisins and dried apples
- 2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon
- Zest of 1 orange
- ½ cup of cashew butter
- ½ cup of honey
- Heat honey and cashew butter on low heat until melted.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Stir in the honey and butter mixture.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Place a baking sheet in a tin.
- Spread the mixture and press tightly with a spoon to get all ingredients stick together.
- Place in the fridge to cool down. Cut into bars. Keep in the fridge.